Dear St Mary’s church member, 6th April 2020
As we enter Holy Week I would like to draw your attention to the different services being offered at St Mary’s in the days ahead:
* Morning Prayer is available by or soon after 9am every day except Friday and Sunday;
* Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday a short service of Compline (Night Prayer) will be said. This will be available from 7pm, and is a lovely way to end your day;
* Maundy Thursday service commemorating the institution of Holy Communion at the Last Supper. This will be available from 6pm;
* Good Friday, available from 12noon, 3 hours devotional service with a cycle of reflection, silence and hymn, concluding with the traditional Good Friday liturgy;
* Easter Day Parish Eucharist will be available by 10am. This will include lighting the Easter Candle (and your own candles at home). At 11am there will be an Easter Sunday Club celebration by zoom video;
Virtual Easter and Holy Week 2020
Thanks to our administrator Cheryl, we have a new section on our website entitled Virtual Easter and Holy Week 2020 which you will find on our home page (https://www.stmarybarnes.org/virtual-easter-holy-week-at-st-marys-barnes/.) This contains:
- a link to our YouTube services and service sheets for these;
- links to the national Church of England online services and resources
- some links to Holy Week and Easter music and hymns
- children’s resources
- an invitation to submit a photo of an Easter Flower bouquet you have arranged or an Easter Bonnet you have made, which we will feature in our website gallery and our Instagram account. Send photos to [email protected]. If you also are posting on Instagram please use #stmarybarnes and @stmarybarnes in your caption box.
Bishop’s Lent Call
During this difficult time for everybody in our own community, please do remember all those who need support elsewhere in our diocese and the wider world. Every year the Bishop’s Lent Call supports many very worthwhile and important projects both locally and further afield.
In 2020 the Bishop’s Lent Call is supporting projects within Southwark Diocese and in the Holy Land, Nigeria and our Link Dioceses in Zimbabwe.
Zimbabwe: Initiatives supporting food security, water supplies, training and infrastructure in our Link Dioceses of Central Zimbabwe, Matabeleland, Masvingo and Manicaland.
The Holy Land: The L’Arche community in Bethlehem. Bringing together people with learning disabilities and those without to be together in community.
Nigeria: The Kaduna Centre for Christian-Muslim Relations.
Projects in the Diocese of Southwark
SparkFish. Working in schools, inspiring young people in faith hope and love.
The Nicholas Stewart Project. Making a difference in the lives of young people on estates in the Earlsfield area.
Superkidz. Helping young people and children whose lives have been scarred by domestic violence, abuse and neglect.
This year we had planned special collections to be taken on the day of Bishop Christopher’s visit to us. Sadly that had to be postponed. It would be wonderful, however, if St.Mary’s could nevertheless make a generous contribution. You can contribute by bank transfer to sort code 40-52-40 no: 00021287 St. Mary’s PCC Barnes, or by posting or delivering a cheque made out to the same name into the church office. Please indicate clearly that this is for the Bishop’s Lent Call. Thank you.
At the Foot of the Cross, Radio 2 Good Friday 7pm
Bishop Christopher kindly telephoned me a few days ago to say how sorry he was not to have been able to come to St Mary’s and that he looks forward to this being rearranged. He prayed for us at the service in the Bishop’s House, and also said how much he enjoyed listening to the Radio 4 service at the end of February (which seems a long time ago!).
I am delighted that you can hear Anna Haestrup on the BBC again this week! In Anna’s own words:
“It was an amazing experience to do a recording at BBCs Maida Vale studios with William Miles-Kingston for BBC Radio 2 At the Foot of the Cross. Dan Walker presents. There is a fantastic gospel choir, readings and interviews. It will be broadcast on Good Friday at 7PM. William and I sing two duets and also both sing solo. Please listen in!”
We continue to pray for all who are especially affected by the virus and lockdown through illness, financial crisis or isolation, and for all working on the frontline, who serve them and us so selflessly. And giving thanks for all who are, in small and greater ways, helping their neighbours, especially here at St Mary and the wider community of Barnes.
With my prayers as we journey together, with Christ, through these coming days,
Revd James Hutchings
Barnes Team Rector and Vicar of St Mary